Charter members were: Mrs. M. W. Talley, Mr. and Mrs. John Wilson, Mr. William Ward, and Mr. W. A. Sigler, Sr. In 1891, they purchased one acre of land for $100 from Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Easley and built the first church, a one room farm building.
In 1920, this frame building was torn down and replaced by the first part of the present building: office area, Sunday School classrooms, upstairs rooms, and restrooms. In 1948, the men of the church added the major part of the Sanctuary and the Fellowship Hall and rearranged some areas. The current choir loft is part of the original structure.
In the 1950’s, the educational wing was added. In 1960, the Sanctuary was extended. The first parsonage was built in 1898 and used as a parsonage until 1967 and then as Sunday School classrooms until 1979 when it was demolished to make room for Williams Hall, named after Thelma Sigler Williams.
The old Fellowship Hall became the Food Pantry, storage, and a classroom. One of the main accomplishments was the building of the Flame Center which was begun in 1995 and completed in 1996. The building where Restoration House is now located was built in 1967 and used as a parsonage until 2012.
Each addition or renovation was a testament to the work, generosity, and dedication of the members. These milestones marked the growth as the leaders recognized the need to expand or tear down one structure to build another. Also, the church purchased the old Pitts property and added parking spaces.
One can only look at the stained glass windows, the pews, the hymn books, the offering plates, the communion service, the organ, the piano, and many other essentials of our worship that were placed in someone’s memory or honor. The chapel contains the early pulpits, a table, and an organ. As we celebrated our 125th anniversary in September 2014, we remember the people who have been so dedicated to Millington First United Methodist Church. And, we look to the future with hope and in faith toward the next 125 years.